No matter what college or university you attend, this is the process for arranging your academic accommodations.

1. Gather your Documentation
  • You must provide formal documentation for your LD and ADHD.
  • If you have LD, bring a psycho-educational assessment report signed by an accredited diagnosing professional.
  • If you have ADHD, bring a psycho-educational assessment report signed by an accredited diagnosing professional and/or a form completed by a physician, psychiatrist or psychologist stating your diagnosis and its likely impact on your university studies.
  • Copies of your Individual Education Plan provide useful information about the accommodations and supports you need, but are not, on their own, in some provinces/territories considered formal proof of your disability.
2. Make an Appointment at your College or University Disabilities Support Services Centre
  • Schedule your intake appointment well in advance of fall classes (e.g. July or August).
  • Avoid waiting until September, when it is really busy.
3. Meet with your Disabilities Support Coordinator
  • Go to the meeting prepared to self-advocate.
  • Bring your documentation, so your coordinator can help you determine appropriate accommodations and supports, based on the demands of your classes.
4. After the 1st Week of Class, Meet your Coordinator Again
  • Your coordinator at the disability services office will email letters of accommodation to your instructors, and may refer you to other service providers, such as a learning strategist, assistive learning technologist, counsellor, tutor or note-taking coordinator.
5. Confirm Accommodation Arrangements
  • You must confirm accommodation arrangements for in-class tests and exams with your instructors.
  • Confirm your accommodation arrangements with your instructor at least 2 weeks before any in-class tests or exams.
  • Visit your instructors during their office hours when you can privately discuss course-related matters. Alternatively, you can email your instructor.
  • If your instructor has questions, provide him or her with the contact information for your disability services counsellor.
6. Know and Meet Deadlines
  • In order to receive accommodations for exams and assignments, you must request letters of accommodation from the disabilities service office by the deadline.
  • It is your responsibility to contact the administration about your disability needs.
  • Your disability services counsellor is your primary disability services centre contact as long as you study at your post-secondary institution. You should meet with him or her at the beginning of each term.
  • Accommodations are meant to level the playing field - not make it easier for you compared to your classmates. They must be justified on the basis of your disability, documentation and individual needs.
  • Visit the disability services office website and make careful note of the procedures for obtaining accommodations and supports at your college or university.
Permission to post granted by:
Paul Menton Centre for Students with Disabilities (PMC), Carleton University:
Centre for Students with Disabilities, Algonquin College:
FaLang translation system by Faboba